Family Art Project Facilitator/Storyteller
Wave Hill’s Education Department provides hands-on learning experiences for children, youth, teachers, and intergenerational groups of visitors in the arts and sciences to educate and inspire life-long learners. Wave Hill’s Facilitator/Storyteller for the Family Art Project (FAP), one of Wave Hill’s signature programs, plays a central role in ensuring successful FAP programs, immersing children and their families in the pleasures and wonders of Wave Hill’s gardens and gallery exhibitions through hands-on, nature-based, art activities that encourage creativity and imagination. This program runs year-round, with a drop-in format each weekend day.
Role and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Art Education Coordinator, the Facilitator/Storyteller works closely with FAP staff to prepare and facilitate the introduction to the program through interdisciplinary storytelling. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with FAP staff to develop cohesive programmatic introductions, using storytelling to engage program participants in a deeper understanding of each weekend’s art project.
- Research and select age- and theme-appropriate stories from books, dances, songs and theater-based play, etc. to help introduce each weekend’s project.
- Greet and interact with program participants, ensuring a positive and engaging learning environment.
- Lead the facilitation of the program’s introduction each weekend day through engaging in social-emotional learning and environmental sciences in fun, engaging, and accessible ways.
- Available to work Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with children and/or intergenerational groups in a non-traditional educational setting
- Experience facilitating culturally-responsive programming to diverse audiences
- Degree in art, education, museum education or related field preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish, Russian or other second language a plus
Schedule and Salary
This is a part-time, year-round position, which requires working weekends. Salary is $18 per hour for 12 hours per week. Reports to the Art Education Coordinator.
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please state Facilitator/Storyteller in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees.