Full-Time Curator of Visual Arts
Wave Hill's Curator of Visual Arts is part of the team that organizes contemporary art exhibitions in Wave Hill’s galleries and on the grounds, exploring a dialogue between nature, culture and site. This position reports to the Senior Director & Chief Curator and works with the Performing Arts Curator, Curatorial Fellow, Gallery Greeter and other Wave Hill staff.
The ideal candidate will have experience working directly with emerging artists, a broad knowledge New York’s cultural community, passion for the interconnection between art and nature, experience and enthusiasm for communicating about art to a broad spectrum of people, superior interpersonal skills, excellent follow-through and an ability to manage multiple details and deadlines.
- Curatorial: responsible for curating and organizing the Sunroom Project Space for emerging artists, currently five to seven solo projects/exhibitions per year. As part of the team, curates Glyndor Gallery exhibitions and organizes Winter Workspace artist selection. May take the lead on specific exhibitions or projects.
- Programs: organize and participate in Winter Workspace open studios and participatory projects, artist talks, panels and collaborative programs.
- Exhibition Production:
- Oversee loans from artists, galleries and institutions, schedule and oversee contracted art handlers; arrange all incoming/outgoing shipping of artwork via art or commercial shippers, prepare condition reports for incoming and outgoing work.
- Write interpretive text for labels and catalogues.
- Coordinate announcement cards, wall labels and signage.
- Outreach: prepare copy and images for Wave Hill's quarterly newsletter, for the website, blog and for social networking. Manage entry portal for application processes. Conduct info sessions for application process.
- Coordinate assignments for the curatorial fellow and interns.
- Recruit and train interns and volunteers as needed.
- Participate in institution-wide planning committees.
- Represent Wave Hill on selection panels, portfolio reviews, etc., with other arts organizations.
- At least six years' professional experience in a curatorial setting
- MA in art history, arts administration or the equivalent
- Excellent communication, writing and editorial skills
- Experience working with emerging artists, museums and arts organizations.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Photoshop, databases
- A valid driver’s license is preferred.
This position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. It is open immediately.
Send a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to Curator of Visual Arts Search at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send same to
Curator of Visual Arts
675 West 252 Street
Bronx, NY 10471.
No telephone calls, please.
October 16, 2017