Permanent Part-Time Performing Arts Curator
The Performing Arts Curator develops signature, site-inspired programs and series that take advantage of Wave Hill’s unique spaces, indoors and on the grounds. The indoor concert series in Armor Hall presents classical, jazz and Americana. A summer outdoor-music series features a range of music with a Bronx focus. Performing artists are included in seasonal festival weekends and at cultivation events. Keeping excellence and diversity at the forefront, Wave Hill seeks to be a venue that is known for adventurous performance. The Curator reports to the Senior Director of Arts, Education & Poograms, and is part of the Arts Department.
- Curate, produce and administer performing-arts programming that focuses on music, but may include dance, spoken word and special projects
- Develop commissioning opportunities
- Expand partnerships
- Collaborate with all departments; Visitor Services regarding ticket sales, set-up logistics, volunteers; Marketing regarding promotion; Visual Arts and Public Programs to plan joint programming; and Development regarding fundraising
- Provide program reports, statistics and budgets
- Handle administrative duties, including all communication with selected and prospective artists/agents, contracts, check requests, set-up sheets, calendars, etc.
- Prepare concert programs info for the web, social media, newsletter, press releases
- Respond to artist and manager inquiries regarding performing at Wave Hill
At least five years professional performing arts programming with a focus on music, a broad knowledge of New York City’s cultural community and experience curating for a cultural institution. The position demands excellent speaking and writing skills, experience managing budgets and a team-oriented approach, as well as the ability to work with the public under pressure. The successful candidate must be confident, creative, flexible and a well-organized and self-motivated individual who can work independently and balance multiple projects at once, with exceptional attention to detail.
A Bachelors degree is required. Microsoft Office applications and database proficiency required.
Hours and Salary
A three-day weekly schedule will be determined, with performances on Sundays and occasional evenings. Includes an excellent benefit package. The position is open and starts as soon as it is filled, hopefully by December.
Send resume, cover letter, and program samples by email to email@example.com, or by mail to:
Performing Arts Curator Search
675 West 252nd Street
Bronx, NY 10471
No, calls, please.