Youth Programs Coordinator
Wave Hill is seeking a Coordinator to assist with the management of two teen internship programs and associated projects. Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Youth Programs and Woodland Initiatives, the Youth Programs Coordinator will assist in the planning, administration and implementation of all aspects of the Woodland Ecology Research Mentorship (WERM) and Forest Project programs. The Coordinator will also lead activities and teach in the programs, and contribute to ecological restoration projects at Wave Hill and in surrounding natural areas.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Take the lead during the busy summer in one of the following areas:
- Facilitating and co-teaching a geographic information systems (GIS) course and related projects;
- Facilitating and co-teaching an ecological restoration course and related projects; or
- Planning and supervising implementation of restoration work for interns and crew leaders.
- Assist with the supervision of Youth Programs part-time staff and 50 interns in Forest Project and WERM.
- Coordinate outreach and recruitment efforts, including attending school visits and career fairs.
- Plan, implement and lead workshops for WERM students during the academic year, most of which are on Saturdays and often offsite.
- Work closely with education staff and other departments to ensure efficient administration of programs, including scheduling in our digital content management system, tracking intern attendance, inventorying and ordering supplies, and assisting with reporting and marketing efforts.
- Create and facilitate educational programing throughout the year in GIS, ecological restoration, stewardship, youth development and/or citizen science, which often involves collaboration with external partners.
- Must have an undergraduate degree with a demonstrated interest in environmental issues.
- Significant coursework and/or experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Natural areas restoration and management;
- Ecological research, including citizen science; or
- Geographic information systems.
- Experience working with youth in educational settings, and comfort in a supervisory role.
- Enthusiastic, organized, strong interpersonal skills, and flexible in handling different and sometimes challenging situations.
- Ability to work outdoors with little supervision, and to perform labor-intensive tasks including some heavy lifting.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing with comfort driving in NYC and surrounding area is preferred.
Schedule and Salary:
This is a full-time, year-round position, which requires working most Saturdays from September to mid-June. Occasional evenings are required. Salary is $31,000.
Please use this form to submit your cover letter and resume:
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees.