Family Art Project: Freedom Quilters of Gee's Bend
In 1966, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. visited the Gee’s Bend Community in rural Alabama, and the Freedom Quilting Bee was established. The bold patterns and bright colors of these now famous quilts, made using fabric scraps, would later go on to fund aspects of the community’s freedom. Create your own brilliant compositions out of bountiful squares of fabric scraps, honoring Dr. King’s birthday and the inspiring women quilters of Gee’s Bend.
- Registration is required in advance.
- Registration opens on the Monday before the program and closes immediately before the program begins.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult during the entirety of the program.
- A link to access the program on Zoom will be emailed to you upon confirming your registration.
- Materials needed for each project will be sent to you via email upon confirming your registration. All materials will be items that are likely to be found in any home, and suggested alternatives will be included in case the primary materials are not available.
Questions? Please email us at email@example.com or call 718.549.3200 x251.