Curator of Visual Arts
How to Apply
Send cover letter, resume, two writing samples (5 pages max) and three references to email@example.com with “Curator of Visual Arts” in subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled and only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
Overall Responsibilities include:
Curatorial and Programming:
- Curate, organize and project manage the Sunroom Project Space for emerging artists, currently 5-6 solo projects/exhibitions per year and includes working with other departments to plan and implement.
- Manage the Van Lier Fellowship Program, including selection process, providing professional development, and working with artists on development, production and installation of their solo projects.
- Under the direction of the Director of Arts, the Curator of Visual Arts works on the curation and project management of Glyndor Gallery exhibitions (currently 2 per year). Occasionally initiate and take the lead on specific exhibitions or projects, with the support of the Director of Arts and members of the curatorial team.
- Organize artist selection for Winter Workspace, Wave Hill’s artist-in-residence program
- Organize, lead or participate in open studios, artist talks, panels, and other artist-led programs
- Set up and manage events and space reservations on Wave Hill’s database (Altru), including interface with other departments to manage scheduling issues.
- Plan and organize exhibition schedules and production timelines with Director of Arts
- Oversee loans and other registrarial work from artists, galleries and institutions, schedule and oversee contracted art handlers; arrange all incoming/outgoing shipping of artwork via art or commercial shippers, prepare condition reports for incoming and outgoing works.
- Write interpretive text for labels, catalogues, and other exhibition didactics
- Coordinate announcement emails, wall labels and signage.
Marketing and Promotions:
- Provide content and prepare copy and images for programs template, website, press releases and social media, meeting all deadlines for submission. This might include occasional public speaking and representation to the press.
Philanthropy and Engagement:
- Work with Philanthropy and Engagement staff to provide content, materials, and support for grant applications and fundraising events
- Manage entry portal and conduct info sessions for application processes
- Assist the Director of Arts in managing Curatorial Assistant’s tasks and provide opportunities for career development through mentorship
- Recruit, supervise and manage schedule of gallery greeters, interns, and volunteers
- Participate in institution-wide planning committees
- Represent Wave Hill on selection panels, portfolio reviews, symposiums, publications, and working groups with partner organizations
- Maintain a visible role in the community, including the maintenance of relationships with artists, galleries, supporters, and the public
- At least 6 years professional experience in a curatorial setting
- Excellent communication, research, writing, public speaking, and editorial skills
- Experience working with emerging artists, museums, and arts organizations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, databases, social media, and video conference platforms
- The successful candidate must be well organized, detail-oriented, team-oriented, self-motivated, and able to manage budgets and schedules
- A valid driver’s license is preferred.
Recommended Education: MA in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Arts Administration or equivalent
Salary: $58K-60K, this is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits. Schedule includes occasional evenings and weekends.
Benefits: Major medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k and pension, paid vacation, sick days, personal days, and one day a week remote work option after probationary period
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.