How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume and writing ample (five pages maximum) and three references with their contact information. Please state Curatorial Assistant in subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled and only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
These include, but are not limited to:
- Support the curatorial team and assist the Director of Arts & Chief Curator
- Assist with general correspondence and scheduling for the department, including keeping calendars on Outlook, Altru, Teams and Arts production schedule
- Assist with database management and compilation of statistics (Wave Hill uses Altru)
- Support registration duties, including exhibition checklists, incoming and outgoing loans, condition reports, art shipping and art handling schedules
- Provide administrative and logistical support for performing arts productions
- Order office supplies for department and production and installation supplies for exhibitions and programs.
- Organize artist, exhibition, and other files as well as archives for department
- Support departmental accounts payable and expense tracking by preparing and submitting check requests and invoices, maintaining expense tracking spreadsheets, and other financial recordkeeping tools.
- Provide departmental support with organizing tasks and workflow, as well as interdepartmental communications, using task management software such as Basecamp, Teams, Excel spreadsheets, and other tools
- Additional administrative and programmatic tasks as assigned. Because the Arts Department is a small team, staff is asked to be flexible and help with tasks not explicitly mentioned in this description.
- Participate in curatorial planning and engagement with visitors.
- Lead exhibition tours for the public and organized groups of adults and families, support gallery greeters. Occasional gallery coverage as needed.
- Participate in selecting artists for exhibitions and programs, which involves research, selection committees, and studio visits.
- As assigned, opportunities to co-curate exhibitions in close collaboration with the Director of Arts and other members of curatorial team.
- Coordinate Winter Workspace program logistics.
- Writing: contribute to writing labels, conduct artist interviews for publications and promotional materials (such as website and digital media), draft social media posts, and prepare copy and images for website updates.
- Assist with organizing visual and performing arts talks, panels, concerts, performances and other events.
BA in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Arts Administration or related major.
We seek a motivated and enthusiastic individual who is knowledgeable about contemporary art, with prior curatorial experience in a museum or nonprofit organization. The position requires experience with public tours, well-developed research, writing and speaking skills, and database proficiency, as well as familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, social media, and video conference platforms. The successful candidate must be well organized, detail-oriented, can manage several projects at once, and possess excellent interpersonal skills. Experience photographing and documenting events is an asset.
Candidate must be fully vaccinated.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this permanent, full-time position is commensurate with experience. Schedule includes occasional evenings and weekends.
Wave Hill offers major medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k and pension, three weeks’ vacation, sick days, and personal days.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installation view of Camille Hoffman, Las Américas (en el hogar)/Americas (in the hearth), 2019, in Here We Land exhibition at Wave Hill. Photo: Stefan Hagen.