Forest Project Summer 2022 Senior Crew Leader
Role and Responsibilities
- Assisting with the supervision of Crew Leaders and interns in the Forest Project and WERM programs.
- Planning and supervising implementation of restoration work for Crew leaders and interns.
- Overseeing the organization and maintenance of tools and equipment like pruners, wheel barrows and shovels.
- Supporting Crew Leaders with the creation and implementation of restoration plans.
- Documenting work through blogs, videos, social media and photography.
- Assisting Senior Manager of Youth Programs and Woodland Initiatives with administrative duties.
- Assisting in planning activities, special projects and field studies.
- Developing and implementing field study research projects for GIS and ecological restoration-based college level courses alongside the Senior Manager of Youth Programs and Woodland Initiatives and instructors.
- Undergraduate degree with a demonstrated interest in environmental issues preferred.
- Significant coursework and/or experience in natural areas restoration and management.
- Hands-on experience doing restoration or gardening and working with tools.
- Experience working with youth in educational settings and comfortable in a supervisory role.
- Enthusiastic, organized, strong interpersonal skills and flexible in handling challenging situations.
- Ability to work outdoors with little supervision, and to perform labor-intensive tasks including safely lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing with comfort driving in NYC preferred.
Due to Covid-19, some portions of the program might take place virtually. Typically, the Senior Crew Leader works largely outdoors, supervising all four of the Forest Project’s crews (groups of one adult and six to eight interns). Supervision will largely take place in Wave Hill’s Woodlands and Ecology Building (currently only accessible by stairs), though the Senior Crew Leader is also expected to act as a chaperone per any for any off-site field trips. When outside, the Senior Crew Leader should expect to traverse all of Wave Hill’s Woodlands, both on and off path. When inside, the Senior Crew Leader holds their own desk space within the Youth Programs office on the third floor of Wave Hill House (currently only accessible by stairs). This office is a collaborative and dynamic space shared with other members of the team, though on occasion more team members and potentially some interns will be present.
Schedule and Salary
This is a part-time, seasonal position with a flexible start date in May 2022 and running through the end of August 2022. The hourly rate is $18.50 per hour. The hours are 15 to 25 hours per week in May, and 35 hours per week June through August.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion at Wave Hill
Wave Hill is committed to creating an environment which promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion of all applicants and employees. The Education Department strives not only to accept but to affirm and celebrate all identities. Race, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, and veteran status are not barriers to employment at Wave Hill. We invite you to communicate any special needs or requirements to be accommodated throughout the hiring process.