Facilitating and Teaching GIS Curriculum
The GIS Educator facilitates and teaches the Urban Environment: Intro to GIS, a college-level course curriculum to students in our Woodland Ecology Research Mentorship (WERM) program. This position reports to the Youth Programs Manager.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please email a cover letter and resume to the email address below. Applications received by March 31, 2023, will be given preference.
Specific duties include:
- Supervise and instruct a group of 10-15 students
- Implementing all aspects of the course including teaching lessons, leading in-class activities, evaluating students and conducting general course administration
- Troubleshoot and respond to technology issues if they arise
- Work with the Youth Programs Manager on adjusting or updating course curriculum when necessary
- An undergraduate degree with significant GIS coursework; graduate-level experience preferred
- Highly proficient in ArcGIS; experience with ecological/environmental data sets preferred
- Experience working with teens or young adults in a formal academic setting
- Background knowledge of and passion for environmental issues
- Must be enthusiastic, organized, have strong interpersonal skills and be flexible in handling different situations
Some portions of the program might take place virtually due to Covid-19. Typically, the GIS Educator teaches indoors in a computer lab environment either at Wave Hill or at College of Mount Saint Vincent. When not teaching, Educator may work in shared youth programs office space with other members of the team.
Schedule and Salary
This is a seasonal position paid by stipend, with flexible orientation in June and teaching two days per week in July and August. This position will receive a stipend of $5,000.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Wave Hill
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact email@example.com.