Senior Horticultural Interpreter
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples on gardening subjects (blog posts or similar).
Please state Senior Horticultural Interpreter in subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled and only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
The Senior Horticultural Interpreter has three main areas of responsibility, as well as other duties, as assigned.
- Develop onsite interpretive signs, self-guided tours and other interpretive materials
- Work closely with Director of Public Programs and Marketing staff to develop content for thoughtful and timely content for social media and the website about plants and the gardens, in order to engage the public and encourage onsite visits
- Work collaboratively with Public Programs and Visitor Services staff to manage our volunteer Garden Guide program, including recruitment, training and meeting coordination
- Represent Wave Hill as a horticultural expert on occasional television, radio, in-house video, podcast appearances and in other media
- Review and edit content from Marketing and other departments for continuity and horticultural accuracy
- Advise on and review all garden-related text for publication both printed and digital
- Plan and lead a weekly plant class for John Nally Horticulture Interns (April–November)
- Assist Horticulture Department with the curation of the plant collection through identification and verification
- Supervise the Horticultural Interpreter in plant-records management, including labeling plants in bloom, updating monthly bloom lists, creating temporary labels and ordering permanent labels
- Work closely with the Assistant Director of Horticulture to rebuild and maintain plant database
- Take the lead with the Director of Public Programs and Wave Hill Gardeners to develop horticulture programming that brings attention to Wave Hill’s gardening aesthetic, historic landscape, gardening techniques and the expertise of the Wave Hill gardeners for gardeners of all levels
- Lead garden programs and tours for the public and high-profile supporter
- An experienced gardener and plant enthusiast with a broad knowledge of woody and herbaceous plants, both hardy and tender
- Minimum of five years' work experience in the field of public horticulture
- Solid background in plant taxonomy, identification and botanical nomenclature
- Strong sense of garden aesthetics and the ability to communicate to garden professionals, staff, media and the general public
- Experience developing and leading innovative programs and with public speaking for a public garden or similar organization
- Ability to take the lead with the Director of Public Programs and Wave Hill Gardeners to develop horticulture programming that brings attention to Wave Hill’s gardening aesthetic, historic landscape, gardening techniques and the expertise of the Wave Hill gardeners for gardeners of all levels
- Ability to lead garden programs and tours for the public and high-profile supporters
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and experience writing engaging text on gardening subjects for social media, website and print
- Bachelor’s degree, or more advanced degree (preferred) in horticulture, landscape design or related field
- Office and outdoor work required in all seasons with frequent sitting, standing, walking and bending; may be exposed to extreme heat, cold and pollen when working outdoors
- Ability to lift 20 to 30 pounds
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and databases
Four days/week, including some evenings and weekends
Medical, dental and vision planned are included, with paid time off. This position includes a 401(k) with a pension plan.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees.