Kerlin Education Intern
Intern responsibilities include:
- Co-teaching and leading guided virtual and on-site programs ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours long for pre-k to high school groups from NYC and surrounding areas.
- Researching and mastering lesson content for pre-k to high school audiences. Topics include ecology of local plant and animal species, the geological and sociological history of Wave Hill, as well as relevant community science and art projects.
- Preparing for programs by thoroughly reading lesson plans, packing educator backpacks with class specific materials, and setting up and breaking down classroom spaces.
- Greeting teachers at the front gate prior to the start of their program and working with teachers to tailor programs to the needs of their classes.
- Managing teaching materials such as bio facts, art supplies, clipboards, pencils, iPads etc.
- Engaging in biweekly team meetings as well as peer review and feedback sessions with other members of the education department.
- Conducting programmatic and audience research for the department as needed.
- Demonstrable interest in life science, nature, and/or art
- Clear, effective communication skills
- Flexible, team player
- B.S/B.A. in relevant field (education, science, art etc.) preferred
- Experience teaching children in a non-formal setting including virtual learning preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Schedule and Salary
This is a semester-long, 12-week position. The fall semester begins in September and ends in November. The spring semester begins in March and ends in May. The rate of pay is $15 per hour for approximately 12 hours a week. The schedule is from 9:00AM to 1:00PM three weekdays per week.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact email@example.com