Youth Programs Manager
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please state Youth Program Manager in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. Candidates asked to interview for the position will be required to prepare a demonstrated lesson using information provided.
The Youth Programs Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of experiential, immersive learning opportunities for high school audiences. This includes and is not limited to:
- Oversight of programs, including the content and coordination of day- to-day management and long-range planning
- Supervises youth program teams including full-time and part-time staff and interns
- Annually recruit, interview, and supervise college-level Crew Leaders, high school interns, course instructors, and mentors
- Sustain and develop new strategic alliances with relevant environmental organizations, local colleges and schools to support program initiatives
- Manages annual budget for youth programs
- Coordinates content and planning for three academic courses, as well as teaching some courses
- Maintains program records including time sheets, contact lists, course handouts, and program statistics
- Supports the preparation and submission of relevant grant proposals, reports, and evaluations
- In collaboration with the Education Program Manager, develops and refines program proposals, curricula, and evaluation metrics for partner organizations, such as Con Edison and the Bronx Institute
- Teach or assist with middle and high school groups and professional educator workshops as needed
- Assists Horticulture department to develop and implement appropriate strategies and methodologies for woodland restoration efforts
- Performs other duties as assigned
The Manager must have experience working with teens in an informal setting and demonstrate cultural competency to work with diverse audiences. This individual must have supervisory experience and expertise with teaching and developing content focused on urban ecological restoration and familiarity and experience with GIS technology.
In addition to experience with teaching and administrative duties, other requirements include:
- Master’s Degree in education, environmental/nature education, or related field
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines while juggling multiple tasks and projects, planning months in advance while responding to day-to-day demands.
- A demonstrated positive approach to problem solving and collaborating with others.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience teaching with high school community audiences.
- Strong interest in Wave Hill’s education programs and mission.
- Cultural competency to work with diverse and local Bronx communities.
- Ability to work outdoors and participate in labor-intensive tasks
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of Microsoft Teams, Microsoft SharePoint, Zoom, and Google Meet a plus.
Schedule and Salary:
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Education. The schedule is Tuesday to Saturday (during academic year) and Monday to Friday (during summer season). There is some offsite travel to schools and field trips, and occasional evenings required. Salary is $55,000 plus benefits including: medical, dental, vision insurance; paid time off; 401k, pension plan and life insurance.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Wave Hill
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.