Youth Programs Coordinator
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document, stating Youth Programs Coordinator in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. Candidates asked to interview for the position will be required to submit a curriculum sample and prepare a demonstrated lesson using information provided.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Youth Programs Coordinator is actively engaged with assisting in the planning, administration and implementation of all aspects of the Woodland Ecology Research Mentorship (WERM) and Forest Project programs. The Youth Programs Coordinator will also lead activities and teach in the programs and contribute to ecological restoration projects at Wave Hill and in surrounding natural areas.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Take the lead during the intensive summer programming in one of the following areas:
- facilitating and co-teaching a geographic information systems (GIS) course and related projects.
- facilitating and co-teaching an ecological restoration course and related projects.
- Assist with supervising Youth Programs' part-time staff and 50 interns in Forest Project and WERM.
- Coordinate outreach and recruitment efforts, including attending school visits and career fairs.
- Plan, implement and lead workshops for WERM students during the academic year, most of which are on Saturdays and are both on- and offsite.
- Work closely with education staff and other departments to ensure efficient administration of programs, including scheduling in our digital content management system, tracking intern attendance, inventorying and ordering supplies, and assisting with reporting and marketing efforts.
- Create and facilitate educational programming throughout the year in GIS, ecological restoration, stewardship, youth development and/or citizen science, which often involves collaboration with external partners.
In addition to experience with teaching and administrative duties, other requirements include:
- An undergraduate degree with a demonstrated interest in environmental issues
- Significant experience and coursework in GIS including:
- able to use the software proficiently
- experience managing GIS layers and files for student and program use.
- strong background in foundational content to be able to co-teach basic concepts
- enthusiasm and passion for learning more
- Experience and/or coursework in some of the following:
- woodland restoration, including invasive removal, plant identification, trail work and tool maintenance
- urban environmental issues and/or NYC parks and environmental initiatives
- coursework on the topics of the science of ecological restoration, forest ecology and/or urban parks management
- Experience working with environmentally focused programming and cultural competency to work with diverse and local Bronx communities
- Enthusiastic and organized, with strong interpersonal skills, and flexible in handling different and sometimes challenging situations
- Ability to work outdoors with little supervision, and to perform labor-intensive tasks, including some heavy lifting
- Strong interest in Wave Hill’s education programs and mission
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of Microsoft Teams, Microsoft SharePoint, Zoom, and Google Meet a plus
- Valid driver’s license in good standing; preferably candidate is comfortable driving in NYC and surrounding area
Salary and Schedule
The schedule during the academic year is Tuesday through Saturday and in summer Monday through Friday. There is some offsite travel to schools, and occasional evenings required. The salary is $42,000 plus benefits. These include medical, dental, vision insurance; paid time off; 401k, pension plan and life insurance.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Wave Hill
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact email@example.com.