Jobs & Internships
Assistant Director of Horticulture
The Horticulture Department seeks an Assistant Director. Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, the applicant for this position must be an experienced "plants person" with knowledge of the widest range of plants both hardy and tender, and with awareness of the latest developments and introductions in the field. The job includes curatorial and management responsibilities, but has a "hands-on" component as well.
The Assistant Director supervises the ongoing enhancement of special garden areas and assists the Director of Horticulture in the completion of new initiatives and capital projects. The Assistant Director has several gardeners reporting to him/her; their shared goal is the expression of exemplary plantsmanship, imaginative design and meticulous maintenance. From April to November, this job includes supervising interns, instructing them in proper horticultural practices and in the safe use and care of the tools of the craft. The Assistant Director will, as required, maintain records, including plant records, inventory and mapping, and make written reports.
• Extensive plant knowledge
• Demonstrated supervisory abilities
• Familiarity with botanical Latin
• Ability to manage a database
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to develop good relationship with “Friends of Horticulture” committee
• Team-oriented approach
• Valid driver’s license
• B.A., with advanced training preferred
• Experience in the field of public horticulture is highly desirable
• NY State Pesticide Applicators' License, or the ability to obtain one
E-mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Louis Bauer, Director of Horticulture at email@example.com.
No calls, please.
As a member of the Visitor Services Department, the Security Officer plays an integral role in helping to provide a positive visitor experience. The Security Officer position reports directly to the Security Supervisor.
- Enforce Wave Hills rules and regulations.
- Patrol the grounds.
- Set up conference facilities and equipment for public and private events .
- Take responsibility for in-house mail delivery.
- Perform some custodial duties during inclement weather.
- New York-certified with at least one year of experience in the security field
- Background in fire prevention or NYC Fire Guard a plus
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience in a public garden or cultural institution preferable
- Enthusiastic, self motivated and able to interact with the public and staff
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment, including folding tables, chairs and boxes
- Must be able to work varied hours, including weekends
- This part-time position offes a wage range of $10.00 to $12.50 per hour based on experience.
Send resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls